Wednesday, May 09, 2007









McKay, Iglesias, Charleton

I attended a forum today on the firing of 8 US attorneys (referred to as USAs in the handouts) at Seattle University (organized by my dad) and it was really informative.

One professor started by giving a historical background of the office and how an act in the 1700s created the positions of USA. Then, how the Justice Dept was created in the 1800s.

Another professor described the role of the office and some of the tensions that exist when some USA adhere to central control of the office vs more local autonomy.

The 2nd session had the three former USA, U.S. Attorneys Paul K. Charlton (District of Arizona); David Iglesias (District of New Mexico); and John McKay (Western District of Washington, now Visiting Faculty, Seattle University School of Law).

A woman in front of me was live blogging to an About.com website about US Politics - I think she got her headline the most right ("McKay: Time For Special Prosecutor"), especially since McKay was squarely asked if a special prosecutor should investigate the firings and his answer was an unequivocal "Yes!".

Good job dad - I'm especially proud of you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was really happy that Howard was able to attend this program because I think it is the most important program I've done so far. If you're interested, you can obtain the materials distributed and see a video of the entire program at the website of the Seattle University School of Law/CLE website here:

http://www.law.seattleu.edu/cle/events