Sunday, November 14, 2010

Recipe: Seitan



I used to make this in Gainesville - it was suprisingly easy, unexpectedly fun and super-delicious to make - the results are really good - it rivals the quality you'd get at any cafe in town. My friend Mark's fiancee, Janeen, inspired me to get this recipe on my blog so I don't lose it - it's been sitting on 3 little pieces of paper on my desk for years.

Janeen's throwdown challenge is to add flavoring to the seitan - maybe even rival the recipe for Chicken Fried Seitan she shared with me today. Oh - yum!

Seitan

Stock
1 cup tamari
1/2 cup molasses
water
fill pot 3/4 way - get to full boil

Dry Ingredients
5 cups gluten flour
3 tbsp garlic powder
3 tbsp basil
3 tbsp onion powder
2 tbsp ground fennel
1 cup nut yeast

Wet Ingredients
5 cups water
1/2 tamari (sic) (I think this is 1/2-cup; check this next time I make recipe)
1-2 ounces of liquid smoke

1). Mix dry batter first
2). Pour in wet batter, mixing constantly, until a dough is formed (don't use all the wet batter).
3). Knead dough for 5-10 min to get out the air packets. Slap and throw and spank it into long loaves.
4). Cut into five slices.
5). Boil for 50-55 minutes.

1 comment:

Daydreaming Janeen said...

Howard, just wanted to add this to your blogroll. Lots of yummy stuff here http://veganhomemade.wordpress.com/

It is a dear friend who moved from Gainesville to San Leandro.